Business-to-business (B2B) marketing is distinctly different to consumer marketing. In B2B, the:
- sales cycle is longer
- many buyers and influencers are well educated and well informed
- barriers to switching are high which means so, too, are the stakes.
Similarly, services marketing is unlike product marketing. Services have unique characteristics in that they’re:
- intangible – they have no physical nature
- often inseparable insofar as services are produced and consumed simultaneously
- perishable – once you’ve used a service it can’t be re-sold.
Combine all of these factors and you begin to understand why B2B services marketing is in a league of its own – it’s complicated.